Learning how to teach English online has become extremely popular these days and for many good reasons – it’s flexible, there’s a high need, and it pays pretty well.
You may have even heard me talk about it before here on Making Sense of Cents. I have even had one of my readers talk about online English teaching jobs with VIPKID – Janice Cook talked about how she teaches English online from home and earns around $1,000 a month doing it part-time.
Surprisingly, you don’t need to be a teacher to learn how to teach English online. You also don’t need to speak more than one language – you only need to speak English.
Those things make teaching English online a really great side hustle or online job for almost anyone.
So today, to help you get started, I’m going to tell you everything you need to know about how to teach English online so that you can take advantage of this great new side hustle opportunity. I know that many of my readers are already using some of the companies I’m going to talk about, so you know they are 100% legitimate.
If you’re looking for a way to make extra money, want to work from home, or want to work while traveling, then learning how to teach English online can be a fun way to do so.
Also, making extra money can completely change your life.
Learning how to make money on the side of my day job helped me pay off $38,000 in student loans within 7 months. I eventually turned my side hustle into a full-time job, and I can now travel full-time, pursue my passions, and more!
Finding ways to make extra money, like learning how to teach English online, can change your life in some really great ways, such as helping you with:
- Paying off your debt.
- Saving up for big purchases, like vacations.
- Getting out of a paycheck to paycheck lifestyle.
- Retiring earlier than you had originally planned.
- Realizing that your job isn’t the only option out there, especially if you are currently feeling stuck.
- Help you to become more diversified and make money in more ways.
- Travel more, or even full-time!
As you can tell, I am a big believer that learning to find new ways to make money can completely change your future for the better.
Related articles on how to make extra money:
- 12 Work From Home Jobs That Can Earn You $1,000+ Each Month
- 30+ Ways To Save Money Each Month
- How I Successfully Built A $1,000,000+ Blog
- How to Make Extra Money with a Flea Market Booth
Here is what you need to know about learning how to teach English online.
How much money can you make by teaching English online?
The amount of money you will earn once you learn how to teach English online will vary, but it’s typically around $14 to $22 per hour.
If you worked this side hustle just six hours per week, you could earn an extra $84-$132 per week, or $336-$528 per month! That’s extra money to pay down your debt, put towards retirement, and more.
Online English teaching jobs are a great way to earn more income, because you can do it from home, while you travel (because you just need your laptop and an internet connection!), outside of your regular job, etc.
I know people who teach English online full-time, and others who do it as a way to make extra money. The options are there – you get to choose how you work it!
Can anyone teach English online? What are the requirements?
This is a great question, and probably what you’re wondering first! Now, not anyone can teach English online, but there’s a good chance that you fit the bill.
Most of the online teaching job companies have the following requirements:
- Native English speaker.
- Experience with children such as: teaching, mentoring, coaching, tutoring, babysitting, a parent, etc.
- Internet with a webcam and microphone (which most computers and laptops have).
- Bachelor’s degree from a U.S. or Canadian university (it does not have to be in teaching – it can be on any subject).
The other thing you need to know about the kinds of online English teaching jobs I’m talking about is that you do not need to speak the language of the children you are teaching. You are only required to speak English! I know I’ve already said that, but because this is a common misunderstanding, I wanted to say it again.
Also, the companies I’m focusing on today are all for students in China, but there are many other companies that help students in Korea, Taiwan, etc. learn how to speak English. The same goes for most of those companies too – you only need to speak English.
How flexible is teaching English online?
The companies I’m talking about today are ones that have you teaching English to children in China, and because of the time difference, this side hustle is great for working outside of “normal” work hours.
Some of the methods of teaching English online offer early morning teaching slots or weekend hours. However, VIPKID gives you a little more flexibility with the schedule you create.
There really aren’t minimum teaching hours either, and that means learning how to teach English online can pretty much be as flexible as you need it to be. The lessons you will be teaching are typically around 30 minutes each. Here are a few ways you can fit this side hustle into your schedule:
- Wake up an hour earlier than normal.
- Side hustle on your lunch hour.
- For an hour after you get home from work.
- After your kids have gone to bed.
Recommend companies for teaching English online.
Because this side hustle is becoming popular, there are several great companies that allow you to teach English online. These are ones my readers have recommended and ones I have personally looked into.
The top 3 that I recommend include:
Read on for more on each company.
VIPKID – Teach English online with VIPKID
VIPKID is the #1 platform for teaching English online in China. They also recently ranked #1 on Forbes magazine’s “Top 100 Remote Work Companies Report” for 2018, and they have won many other awards as well.
VIPKID is a company that connects native English speaking teachers with students in China aged 4-12, and you can earn up to $22 an hour teaching English online with VIPKID.
Because VIPKID is becoming more and more popular in China, they need more English speaking teachers to work for them.
VIPKID develops a curriculum for you. And, their teachers work from wherever they want, set their own schedules, and take home competitive pay. Again, there’s no need to speak Chinese.
The requirements for teaching with VIPKID are:
- Bachelor’s degree from a U.S. or Canadian university.
- Experience with children in areas such as: teaching, mentoring, coaching, tutoring, babysitting, etc.
- High-speed internet, computer, and webcam/microphone.
Qkids – Teach English online with Qkids
Qkids is another top work from home company that connects native English speakers with over half a million children aged 4-12 who are in need to English lessons. This is a great job for college students, stay-at-home parents, and those looking to earn more money.
You can earn up to $20 an hour by teaching English online with Qkids. The lessons are already developed for you, and Qkids focuses on game based learning.
To teach English online with Qkids, you will need:
- A bachelor’s degree from a U.S. or Canadian University.
- Experience working with children, like teaching, mentoring, coaching, tutoring, babysitting, etc.
- High-speed internet, computer, and webcam/microphone.
- You teach English to young learners between the ages of 4-12 years through their online platform.
- Teachers teach classrooms with up to four students.
- Their Class Coordination Team will handle scheduling and student assignment.
- Each in-lesson time is 30 minutes.
- You can work up to 19 hours available weekly.
- Training and support is provided for you.
- The curriculum is preset, meaning lesson planning is not required.
Education First – Teach English online with Education First
Education First (EF) is another top work from home company that allows you to learn how to teach English online, and you can earn up to $16 an hour teaching English online with Education First.
Of the companies I’ve listed today, EF is the oldest and most respected brand in private language teaching. They also have a long history and reputation. They have been around for over 50 years, and EF has been helping people around the world learn English. They are also one of the only U.S. based online English teaching companies. They may not pay the highest, but they are still a great company to work for.
Teaching with Education First requires:
- A bachelor’s degree from a U.S. or U.K. university, and you must currently reside in the U.S. or U.K.
- Prior teaching experience or equivalent in education, tutoring, mentoring, or homeschooling.
- High-speed internet, computer, and webcam/microphone
Are you interested in learning how to teach English online?
The post Make Extra Money By Learning How To Teach English Online appeared first on Making Sense Of Cents.